Microsoft SQL Server Overview
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 is a cloud-ready information platform that will help organizations unlock breakthrough insights across the organization and quickly build solutions to extend data across on-premises and public cloud, backed by mission critical confidence.
- The 9s you need with AlwaysOn
- Blazing-fast query performance with ColumnStore Index
- Rapid data discovery via Power View and PowerPivot
- Credible, consistent data via BI Semantic Model and Data Quality Services
- Scale on demand from devices to datacenter to cloud
- Write applications once, run anywhere with SQL Server Data Tools
Why SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server is a comprehensive database server and information platform offering a complete set of enterprise-ready technologies and tools that help people derive the most value from information at the lowest total-cost-of-ownership. Enjoy high levels of performance, availability, and security; employ more productive management and development tools; and deliver pervasive insight with self-service business intelligence (BI).
A complete and integrated platform, Microsoft SQL Server brings it all together to get more value out of existing IT skills and assets, increase the productivity and agility of IT departments, and quickly build flexible, innovative applications.
Reasons to Migrate
Organizations today are under tremendous pressure to implement effective cost-control strategies without sacrificing growth, productivity, functionality, or flexibility. Enterprises that currently support multiple data platforms face issues of inconsistency and higher short-term and long-term licensing and service costs. As a database management solution, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 provides everything an organization needs to lower its total-cost-of-ownership, manage all volumes of data from birth to archival, and provide mission-critical functionality and reliability.
Top benefits of migrating:
- Low total-cost-of-ownership.
- Full scalability, up and out.
- Increased performance and speed.
- Reduced IT and storage costs.
- Minimized downtime.
- Always-On Technologies: always available.
- Consolidated, enterprise-class environment.
- Interoperability with Microsoft Office.
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 offers customers the ability to run, grow and transform their IT to meet the most demanding business needs, and provides many benefits over comparable database products from Oracle, IBM DB2 and MySQL. Both IBM and Oracle only include a limited number of features in their base products and charge hefty prices for the “advanced” features, selling them as costly separate options, while MySQL is missing many key enterprise capabilities altogether.
By contrast, SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition includes all the advanced features in the base product at no additional cost, significantly lowering the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for enterprise customers.
If you would like some help choosing which edition of SQL Server 2012 is right for you, please use the Licensing Tool.
SQL Server 2012 Highlights
SQL Server 2012 will provide Mission Critical Confidence with greater uptime, blazing-fast performance and enhanced security features for mission critical workloads; Breakthrough Insight with managed self-service data exploration and stunning interactive data visualizations capabilities; Cloud On Your Own Terms by enabling the creation and extension of solutions across on-premises and public cloud. SQL Server 2012 will be available in three main editions:
Enterprise for Mission Critical & Applications Data Warehousing
- Advanced high availability withAlwaysOn
- High performance data warehousing with ColumnStore
- Maximum virtualization (with Software Assurance)
- Inclusive of Business Intelligence edition's capabilities
Business Intelligence for Premium Self-Service and Corporate Business Intelligence
- Rapid data discovery with Power View
- Corporate and scalable reporting and analytics
- Data Quality Services and Master Data Services
- Inclusive of the Standard edition's capabilities
Standard continues to offer basic database, reporting and analytics capabilities